Treatment of kleptomania
Kleptomania is a painful craving for theft that occurs against the will of a person. The kleptomaniac steals things compulsively, without planning robberies, and the items stolen by him, as a rule, do not have much commercial value. Most people-kleptomaniacs suffer from the desire to steal, feel a sense of shame and guilt. Is it possible to cure a kleptomaniac and wean him from stealing? Yes, if he wants to get rid of the addiction and turn to professionals for help.
Many people who find out that their loved one is a kleptomaniac start shaming him. If a child steals, the parents hide his behavior, try to punish him. But such behavior of relatives does not contribute to solving the problem: the patient is even more neurotic. Therefore, it is best to entrust the help to kleptomaniacs to specialists.
The Transformation Rehabilitation Center has been operating in Ukraine for more than 14 years under the auspices of the International Anti-Drug Association (IAA) and has helped thousands of people suffering from kleptomania and addictions (alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling addiction) to return to a healthy life.
Our employees are experienced doctors and psychologists, whose mission is to help people with addiction using a range of effective treatment methods. We try to find an approach to each patient and do everything possible so that he will forever give up the desire to steal.
How kleptomania is treated in our drug treatment center: the 12-step method
Help for kleptomaniacs is based on complex treatment and the “12 steps” program, which has proven to be one of the most effective ways to get rid of various addictions. During group and individual sessions with a specialist, each patient:
- He is aware of his addiction and admits that he cannot manage his life by following the desire to steal.
- They will understand that they cannot cope with kleptomania on their own and will need the help of other people (relatives, friends, specialists).
- Trust those who offer help and agree to follow all the rules of the rehabilitation program.
- He will evaluate his life, the actions he was ashamed of, and realize the need for re-socialization.
- He will learn to control his feelings and emotions, to restrain his impulses to succumb to temptation and steal something again.
- He will understand that it is necessary to make amends to those whom he has hurt and will take concrete actions in this direction.
- It will constantly analyze its behavior for possible errors.
- Having reached the last, 12th step, the kleptomaniac will give up the addiction and stop feeling the craving for theft. By the way, many of our patients who managed to cope with the disease, help other people suffering from kleptomania, motivate them.
How dangerous is kleptomania?
Kleptomania does not harm the internal organs of a person, like alcoholism or drug addiction. But it negatively affects his mental balance, making him constantly tormented, ashamed, and blame himself for unseemly behavior. But the greatest danger lies in the fact that criminal liability is provided for theft in our country. And if the circumstances are unfavorable, a sick person who steals unintentionally may end up behind bars.
Is it possible to cure kleptomania yourself?
Holding back and not stealing for a while, of course, is possible. But our practical experience confirms that the kleptomaniac should be treated by professionals who know how to work with his problem. If you do not have the opportunity to go to rehabilitation in the “Transformation” for one reason or another, at least consult with specialists. It is absolutely free and does not oblige you to anything. Our center, where you can apply for help, is located in Odessa and other major cities of Ukraine.
Don’t put off your addiction-free life until tomorrow
If you want to get rid of kleptomania, please contact us by calling the contact phone numbers listed on the website. Remember, the decision to embark on the path of recovery and accepting help from specialists is already a significant contribution to recovery.
Right now you can consult a specialist of our center for free by ordering a call back.
To do this, enter your name and phone number, and an employee of the "Transformation" center will call you back as soon as possible.